10 top tips to help rodent proof your property
When it comes to pests, prevention is always better than cure, so here are some basic tips that you can follow to help turn rats and mice away.
- Close all holes and cracks greater than ¼ inch with expandable foam.
- Seal all pipes leading to outside water supplies, garden hoses and hot water tanks with steel or bronze wool.
- Check and maintain all vents and gaps in attics and under windowsills to ensure that they do not provide easy access points.
- Cap or screen your chimney to stop rodents climbing up and down.
- Add door sweeps to the bottom of your garage and any outbuilding doors.
- Maintain your garden by cutting your grass regularly. Make sure that you trim back branches that could potentially form a bridge to your property and try not to plant shrubs or greenery too close to your house as it encourages rats to dig under the foundations.
- Do not leave food or leftovers out on display and make sure that you seal your bins before disposing of them.
- Make sure that you store all foods in cupboard or in glass, metal or plastic containers. And the higher you can place it, the better.
- Avoid hoarding and excess clutter as it provides places to hide, shelter and materials to nest.
- If you have pets such as cats and dogs, make sure that their food bowls are not left unattended.
Contact PMP for a quote
If you would like advice on rat and mouse pest control service please call us. We have some amazing rat catching dogs who can sniff out rodents and get rid of them without the use of rodenticides.